Venezuela's Food-Abundant Community of Colonia Tovar PDF Print E-mail

Venezuela's Food-Abundant Community of Colonia Tovar

The community also benefits from the Venezuelan government's social programs.

Set high in the northern mountains of Venezuela's Aragua state, the municipality of Colonia Tovar is a model of community development and sustainable living. No one goes hungry in Colonia Tovar.

Its history is set back in the year 1840, when Venezuela's fifth President Jose Antonio Paez, decided that Venezuela should include foreigners versed in skilled labor. The decision led to the 1843 emigration of 372 Germans, 14 French citizens and one Italian — 149 men, 97 women and 141 minors.

There are approximately 33,000 inhabitants of the town of Colonia Tovar.

The buildings all follow a style pattern. It allows for a successful, tourism product. | Photo: teleSUR

Town Hall Agricultural Director Ignacio Kanzler is a sixth generation German descendant. "Every weekend and holiday we receive a very high number of tourists. We provide hotels, hostels, cabins and restaurants with German and Venezuelan food. We give a very good service to our tourists."

Colonia Tovar acquires 20 percent of its income from tourism. The other 80 percent comes from agriculture. Kanzler said the region's temperate climate allows fruits, such as strawberries, apples and peaches to be successfully cultivated. Further down the mountain, the climate changes, allowing crops, such as mangoes, bananas, some vegetables and coffee to grow.

The municipality is a heavy exporter of food to other parts of Venezuela.

Reinaldo Guut shows off his field of "tree tomatoes." This type of tomato is cultivated every six months. | Photo: teleSUR

Reinaldo Guut is a 35-year-old farmer. He said he's been working with the soil all his life. He believes that communal work is the key to a good product and healthy living. He also grows spices and peaches; red peaches grafted onto the stems of a yellow breed.

Colonia Tovar is strategically divided into seven territories, each responsible for the cultivation of specific products. It ensures that there is diversity and abundance that caters to the needs of the residents, tourists and the export industry.

The community also benefits from the Venezuelan government's social programs. They receive technical and educational support in farming, assistance in the coordination of the seven districts of food production, as well as some financial support.

Farmers sell their fruits, and beans daily and on weekends a wider variety of foods are included in the sales. | Photo: teleSUR



img_1475827618_825_lg.jpg img_1475827618_931_sm.jpg img_1475827618_575.jpg img_1475827494_51_lg.jpg img_1475827494_728_sm.jpg img_1475827494_731.jpg img_1475827477_47_lg.jpg img_1475827477_53_sm.jpg img_1475827477_401.jpg img_1475827374_945_lg.jpg